Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Kickoff to Autumn!

Good morning, everyone!

Since my last entry, I've lost a pound and I'm quite happy with it. I've been very lax in logging my food and it really DOES help. We've been busy here, but that's not an excuse. In fact, it should be an impetus to do better, because my day goes better when I schedule things out. We're potty training Xander, and Heath is still doing a job search, but we have several possibles, which are great! We are very hopeful and quite excited about the possibilities that are opening to us right now.

I'm super stoked about the Autumn starting up. Autumn is my favorite season...well, it's tied with Spring. I like Summer and Winter, but I don't like temperature extremes too much. Heath loves Winter, and so do the boys. They love to play in the snow :)

One reason I love Autumn is the plethora of pumpkin treats and sweets that come with it (that and the changing leaves, crisp apples, smoky bonfires, harvesting flower and herb seeds, and comfy, snuggly clothes and blankets!). This morning, it's rather cold in the house (as it usually is because Heath keeps it super cold) and I wanted a fall themed treat for breakfast. I opened the refrigerator, and I saw the remainder of a can of pureed pumpkin. I had used the pumpkin the other day when I made No Bake Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies from Chocolate Covered Katie's blog.

They were spectacular! Heath ate one...I ate like 10...or more...

They were THAT good!

Anyway, I saw the pyrex measuring cup full of pureed pumpkin and saw the container of Greek yogurt on the shelf below. I figured I'd see what I could come up with. I scanned my counters, and I found one of my new delicious ingredients - raw pumpkin seeds. Add in some maple syrup, stevia, and pumpkin pie spice and you have a really tasty Autumn treat!

Heather's Pumpkin Pie Delight Yogurt

1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (shelled)
stevia (to taste)

Mix all the ingredients except the pumpkin seeds. Top the mixture with pumpkin seeds, and drizzle a little extra maple syrup on top with a dash more pumpkin pie spice.

It's quite yummy! Here's the macro breakdown:

Serves 1

Calories: 329
Carbs: 39
Fat: 8
Protein: 29
Fiber: 5
Net carbs: 34

It's a little carb heavy for most people, but I prefer to get the carbs in me in the morning, when I'm more likely to be able to burn them off. I made a Blueberry Banana Green Smoothie to go with it....but I don't think I have enough room for it!

Well, that's it for the day. I'm making Paleo Stuffed Peppers tonight for dinner, and I might take Xander for a walk in a little while. Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds too yummy not to try! I've only ever had pumpkin with Sunday lunch or as fritters, but this recipe could just change that!
    I'd also have to have it at the start of my day for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete